Graysville’s Stormwater Program



In 1972, the Clean Water Act was passed to help protect rivers, streams, and lakes from pollution. From this Act the newly created United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) created the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program. The NPDES program’s purpose was to track and control sources of pollution through permitting. In 1987, the NPDES program’s focus was widened to include permits for municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4). The first MS4 permits for cities within Alabama were distributed in 1996. Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) is responsible for issuing the permits in Alabama as well as inspecting. The duration of each permit is five years.


Program Overview

On October 1, 2016, ADEM issued the current MS4 permit for Graysville (NPDES Permit No. ALR040038). Click here to view the permit. Graysville is currently a member of Storm Water Management Authority, Inc. (SWMA) which has a membership of 21 cities within Jefferson County. SWMA helps the member cities cost share many of the requirements of the permit.

The Components of the permit are as follows:

  • Public Education and Public Involvement on Storm Water Impacts
  • Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) Program
  • Construction Site Storm Water Runoff Control
  • Post-Construction Storm Water Management in New Development and Redevelopment
  • Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations

Every year Graysville submits an Annual Report to ADEM. The latest report can be found here. Click here to view the report.

Every year Graysville must submit a Storm Water Management Program Plan (SWMPP) which outlines how the city will meet the permit requirements in the upcoming year. The latest SWMPP can be found here. Click here to view the latest SWMPP.


Important Information

If you see any of the following please contact City Hall at 674-5643 opt 3

  • An unknown liquid entering a stormwater drain, stream or river.
  • Mud in the street from a construction site.
  • Mud leaving a construction site due to improper construction practices.

For any spills please contact the Graysville Fire Department.
And to report a sanitary sewer emergency, such as a backup into your home or business or an overflow from a manhole, please contact the Jefferson County Environmental Services at 205-942-0681.


What is Stormwater and What Can I Do to Help?


Stormwater is rainwater, snow melt, or even water from a garden hose that flows into the storm sewer system. Stormwater can come from many different sources including rooftops, street curbs, and paved areas. Once the excess water from these sources reach the storm sewer, the water is piped to the nearest creek, river, or stream untreated and could eventually end up in the drinking water supply.

For more information on stormwater and what you can do as a citizen, business owner, or developer click on the links and/or pamphlets below.


Fun Stuff for Kids


Household Hazardous Waste